Sartorial perfection will make you feel and look like a million bucks! Even you have to ‘fake it ‘til you make it’, there is no better time to start than now.
Ensemble Style - Calgary understands that building a perfect wardrobe can be a daunting and expensive undertaking. We are here to help guide you through the process in the simplest way possible.
Keeping the basics simple and classic will ensure you are prepared for whatever your busy life throws your way! This post will outline the essentials every dapper man needs in his foundation wardrobe.
Shirts are the canvas to your ensemble– the supporting role that can make or break the entire look. You must ensure the shirts you choose to include in your foundation wardrobe are of high quality, simple and classic.
- 1 plain white French cuff shirt
- 1 plain blue French cuff shirt
- 1 Bengal stripe shirt (we prefer dark and light blue)
- 1 light blue button cuff Oxford shirt
- 1 white button cuff Oxford shirt
If shirts are the canvas to your ensemble, ties are the art. Because this is a foundation wardrobe post and not a ‘what to wear to your friends birthday’ post, we are going to keep these tie suggestions simple, versatile and classic.
- 1 plain navy tie
- 1 bold but refined stripe tie (keep the colours simple and classic)
- 1 subdued pattern tie (something that is not too bold or outrageous)
- 1 wool or textured tie (for Calgary’s long fall and winter seasons)
If shirts are the canvas and ties are the art… the suit is the main event. A perfectly tailored suit is sure to make you look and feel like you are worth a million bucks. The same suit should never be worn 2 days in a row, which is why we believe three suits should exist in your foundation wardrobe. Make sure your stylist knows a good tailor and the end product will look bespoke.
- 1 classic wool navy blue suit (2 or 3 buttons depending on your body type)
- 1 charcoal suit (also 2 or 3 buttons)
- 1 black suit or 1 subtle pattern medium grey suit (think glenurquhart)
2 Pairs of Shoes.
Women love shoes, which is why you must also pay special attention when choosing yours. If a woman is going to look at your feet, you better be sure she is going to like what she sees. A nice leather shoe can be re-soled, re-polished and re-worked to last you a lifetime. Make sure your stylist knows a good cobbler (not the pie) and you’re set!
- 1 pair of plain classic Oxford cap toe black shoes
- 1 pair of dark brown wing-tips
The black shoes can be paired with everything… the brown can be paired with everything EXCEPT a black suit. A well-taken-care-of pair of shoes will last you many years… don’t be afraid to invest in higher quality!
A well-made, intelligently chosen overcoat is an investment that will also last you many years. Cheaping out on this piece will only call for a re-purchase a couple years down the road, which in the long run, will be more expensive.
- 1 black or dark charcoal wool or wool/cashmere blend, knee or just-above-the-knee length fly-front overcoat
We chose fly front for its class and versatility. Many men are pulled in the pea coat direction when shopping for outerwear and although we also love the look of a pea coat on a man, we believe it is an item that can be added to your wardrobe after you have built up the foundation.
Each of the items in this post are simple and classic enough to be mixed and matched. The investment into a killer foundation wardrobe will ensure you are always prepared - from the boardroom to the bar. Once you are comfortable with the basics, you can then begin to build the fashion side of your closet (we can help with that too!). This side will include bright ties, patterned shirts, stylish sport coats, etc.
If you would like Ensemble's stylists to put together a post for how to build up the fashion side of your closet, helping you to achieve 'best dressed man in Calgary' status, let us know!